Community Service and Activities
The Club makes direct contributions to the following tax exempt organizations:
- Fourth of July Parade in Cayucos (sponsored by the Lions Club)
- Cayucos Elementary School District (school trips, History Day, 8th Grade Graduation, 8th Grade Trip, Swimming Lessons for Cayucos Elementary School Students, TechTrek Scholarships for two Cayucos Elementary School 7th Grade Girls)
- Cayucos Art Association (summer art classes for Cayucos children)
- Cayucos Education Foundation (Cayucos Elementary School Art Program)
- County of San Luis Obispo Parks and Recreation:
- Pool equipment not provided by the County (most recently a pool cover, windscreen & paddle boards)
- Subsidize the Jr. Lifeguard Program for Cayucos Residents, including T-Shirts
- Scholarship Program for post high school trade school programs for Cayucos high school seniors (funds are donated to the respective high schools who pay the funds to the respective schools when the scholarship recipient enrolls)
- AAUW TechTrek Science Camp for two Cayucos Elementary School 7th Grade Girls
The direct activities of the Cayucos Lioness Club include the following:
- Beach/Surf Chair, available free to any handicapped person for use on Cayucos Beach. Call 995-3054 or 995-1266 to arrange use.
- Easter Egg Hunt at Hardie Park in Cayucos, free to all children who wish to participate.
- Lion/Lioness Scholarships
- The "Mutt Mitt" program which dispenses biodegradable dog waste bags from 24 dispensers in town and at beach access points (Map) in order to promote clean streets, beaches and water, and to minimize bacteria from dog waste. The bags are purchased by the Lioness Club and we stock the dispensers.
- From time to time, the Club does special projects. In 2008, funds were raised to purchase a solar powered trash compactor that was donated to the County of San Luis Obispo and placed at the entrance of the Cayucos Pier. It replaced five trash cans. In 2009, the Club purchased a shed which was placed at the beach to hold a handicap equipped surf chair which is available to any beach goer who has need of it.The Lioness Club has also purchased a number of items for the Cayucos Fire Department including a defibrillator. In 2013 the Lioness Club donated funds to support the purchase of the play structure on Cayucos Beach, donated funds to the Cayucos Elementary School's Wasterbuster program for the purchase of a bin, and donated funds to the Save the Pier Fund.